In The Navy And Relocating With Children? 3 Important Things To Consider When Buying Or Renting A Home

One thing that's a given in Navy life is getting a permanent change of station (PCS) move every few years. For Navy families with school-aged children, moving in the middle of the school year can be a daunting task, to say the least. Here are a few tips to help you and your spouse relocate to a new community and find a new school district for your children.

Timing Is Everything

Families in the military often feel like they have to jump through hoops in a logistical nightmare when it comes to PCS moves, especially when they have children in primary and secondary schools. Fortunately, according to, more than 65% of PCS moves occur from May 15 through August 31. But what about the rest?

Not only do they have to hunt for a house to buy or rent (if they aren't moving to government housing), but their children may have to change schools in the middle of a school year. Fortunately, one branch, the Navy, is allowing some dependents to move up to six months before or after their sailor moves, and this includes school-aged dependents in what is called advanced dependent travel and delayed dependent travel. 

From One State and School District to Another

While the Military Interstate Children's Compact Commission (MIC3) promises that key educational transition issues are addressed, it's a good idea to contact the liaison officer in each of the nearest schools to your new permanent duty station, particularly if you have a high school student who may be at risk of not graduating due to missing requirements due to differences in curriculum. Narrowing down your search to a specific school district and then to specific schools for your children is the first step in locating a home within your preferred school district. 

A MILLIE Scout Can Help

Whether the entire family will relocate together or at different times, a MILLIE scout can help you find a home in your preferred school district without either you or your spouse having to leave early for house hunting, whether you are buying or renting. MILLIE scouts are military spouses who contract to locate housing for military families who are PCS'ing. They aren't real estate agents but can work closely on your behalf with any real estate agent of your choosing. They can scout out properties with your real estate agent and do the walk-throughs with you via video chat so you can see the properties. 

To get started with this process, contact a military relocation agent today.